Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 23-09-2020, 05:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi seniors,

I'm a final year student at one of the local medical schools and just wanted to get some advice. I've fixed my heart on a specialty and cannot see myself doing anything else in the future. It's not one of those super competitive specs, intake rate approx 40%. But with the push towards fam med I'm worried I can't make it in even if I do a few years of MO in the spec.

May I ask what seniors generally look for when considering whether a junior is considered a good fit for a spec? How important are HOship posting evals if the spec I want to go into isn't part of my HO postings? How do I show my interest without coming across as bootlicking?

If I really don't manage to get into this spec locally I would seriously consider going overseas to do residency instead. Wonder if anyone knows if MOH would allow a grant for the bond to be suspended in this case.

Thanks!
finish bond/break bond and try UK, new law since 2019 allows IMGs to train easily. what specialty is it? laboratory med, histopath, radio? if not then try match US but covid is a shitshow there

i dont think necessarily all residencies will become jaded/sian and drop out, those docs in the less patient facing ones tend to be happier in long run