Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 24-07-2011, 02:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am not from civil service, but from what i have read from forum and government website,

the Annual Increment for civil servant is MERIT BASE ANNUAL INCREMENT, mean those who perform better get better annual increment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other company like ST Engineering is practicing merit base annual increment too, my friend from that company.

For Example;

A grading = get abt 6% AI
B grading = get abt 4-5% AI
C grading = get abt 3% AI
D grading = get abt 0-2% AI

AI = annual increment

by comparing between 'B' & 'C' grader, beside the AI is higher for 'B', the bonus payout for 'B' is generally 1 - 1.5 months more than that of 'C' is getting. Also if 'B' and 'C' just happen to get a promotion at the same time, 'B' will get a higher PROMOTION INCREMENT than that of 'C' is getting too.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

this is the same when 'A' is compared to 'B'...............in the long term the basic salary gap difference widened as much as $1500-$2000 in 5 years if 2 people of the same class of degree working in civil service from fresh grad at the same time, with one constant getting A/B grade while the other constant getting C grade.

Mr A/B grader getting abt 5500-6500 after 5 years in civil service, while Mr C grade will get abt 3800-4400 after 5 years in civil service.

I think previous earlier post had mention this b4!!!
The AI % for the ST engineering example is a little too high. The ST grading system is to promote a super rat race for the relatively low pay. Getting A grade is almost impossible as it is reserved for more senior people only regardless of how well a new hire can perform. B grade is hard to get because all grades are moderated. The fact that the system requires x number of people in each grade means that if A or B grades are filled up already, then the rest have to be sacrificed and get C or D regardless of how well they performed. Getting a D basically means you are screwed.