Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 17-09-2020, 08:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I know it is a bad time to quit a job but I think it has reached a point where I need to walk out of the place that is making me unhappy. I know that myself and many of my colleagues are all replaceable since there are plenty of bright eyed graduates looking to replace us.

I want to ask how difficult it is to start out your own law firm and how long do you have to wait to get 15k a month. I am definitely going to have a huge pay cut plus I do not think I can bring over clients since most of my clients are currently big corporations.
It is going to be difficult to start your own law firm, especially if you were an assoc from Big4, MC, WS or mid-sized boutique firms, because these clients follow the firms and sometimes, the partners, but not the assocs who are essentially legal grunts. Starting your own law firm requires a strong network, clients that will follow you wherever you go.

Problems arise as firstly, if you were an assoc in those above-mentioned firms, you would not even have much spare time to even network and build connections. And secondly, most Singaporeans are reserved and meek, contented to do background work. To have clients follow you wherever you go, you cannot just simply be good at your work, but also be excellent in your personal service. After all, the legal industry is a service-oriented industry.