Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2020, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i am a current GEO 3, 5 years in service. Graduated straight from NIE BA/BSc programme and teaching non examinable subject (single subject) in a secondary school. Served NS, early 30s currently.

have been doing some projects in my school (low to high stake) but has been getting only a "C" for PB since in service.

Starting from this year, i have been appointed overall IC for my CCA (is this considered high stake position?) and have made it clear to my RO that I would like to take up some KP position starting 2021.

My SLs are not really young (late 40s to 50s) and my school culture is really good (happy to stay in my school).

However, I have been thinking about transferring school (or to HQ branch) to progress further in my career. But I have enjoyed teaching in my school and enjoyed good relationship with students and colleagues to the extent that we have regular meet up outside of school. I have heard of many political stories elsewhere and sometimes i have been told to "count my blessing" by many friends and seniors teaching in other schools.

I would like to progress up the rank (raising to SEO grade) in my career. I understand that being in my early 30s and still at GEO 3 means my progression is really slow. (maybe low CEP?)

Would like to seek the almighty forumers who can give me advice. Should i leave my current school (sacrifice the good office culture and relationship with students/colleague) for a better shot at SEO grade?
I hope to shed some light to your question. Something about myself. Not a scholar, no honors (normal degree), 16 years in service. I got my SEO1 when I was 35 and SEO2 5 years later.

Overall IC is not a high stake as schools dont consciously put high potential officers to lead CCAs unless the CCA is a niche area. CCA deployment is more like staff preference and putting officers where they used to previously.

Taking up a KP position is a conversation usually initiated by the RO. If your CEP is only P8, then your RO would not discuss this during your work review. The conversation would focus on T&L because a teacher with P8 CEP would be a teacher when he/she retires.

Seeking a HQ posting would require an officer to have a CEP of at least P7. So I suggest u check with your SLs first. (Of course, you cant ask them directly what your CEP is but you can seek their advice and from there, you would know what your CEP is).

If you feel that your school has a good culture, I would suggest you to stay. Schools with good colleagues and understanding SLs are hard to find. Going to a new environment would require you to build up relationships with new people and these people may have form cliques.