Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 11:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
congrats to you! mind if you could share what did the employer felt about your long period of unemployment?
I wrote a post about it for some reason it’s not appearing here. I’ll write it up again.

Basically, until May/June this year, employers usually never really asked me why I’ve been unemployed for so long. They would ask why I left my last job, which was because I was retrenched due to corporate restructuring and they are very understanding about it.

However, the last few interviews I’ve had the past 3-4 months and the employers would always ask about the long gap. And to answer that I would say, have a solid story.

I would tell them that after I was retrenched, I wanted to take a break and concentrate on personal development (learnt how to cook, started on a fitness regime, etc) and also figure out what I really wanted to do career wise, which is actually true. This year I started looking for jobs properly and had actually gotten one in March but they rescinded they offer because of covid (also true). Since then times have been difficult but I kept myself busy by taking up online courses (Coursera, LinkedIn Learning, etc).

Just be sincere about your story and sell yourself well. They want to see how you handle yourself in times of adversity.