Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 24-08-2020, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not completely unrelated, but I just hope it’s not too far off track ...

Stating my background just to be in line with the topic:
I’m 33. Started working in 2012. Finance, but my grades (local U) were below average and hence did not qualify for any Management Associate or IB routes.
Started at S$40k pa and now around S$110k pa after 8.5 years of working exp. My savings barely top S$150k even though I lead a modest lifestyle and don’t own a car.

I wonder if people nowadays, especially my generation, find and feel that money has gotten a lot harder to make?
For people born 10 years older than me, they had the good old days of being able to buy multiple properties with 5% cash, flipping them several times and making bundles in the process.
Not to mention the good old days of the stock market.... these days, our local SGX is so dead. Most people who subscribed to the “buy & hold” mentality are still hoping to break even. Even the likes of “blue chips” like SembCorp, SPH, Guocoland, Keppel, etc etc are hardly yielding any profit these days. ETFs or Unit Trusts, despite the Global exposure, don’t do much better.

Scrolling back to the older posts, I see many of them who, despite modest or slightly-above-average salaries, managed to amass a decent amount of wealth by the time they were in their mid or late 30s. They could very well be troll posts, but it’s certainly worth having something to aim or work for (without sacrificing health and family).

Could anyone share their thoughts if they feel the same way too, or am I just being pessimistic?
Thanks in advance.
*I swear the figures are 100% truthful. And that this is not a troll post.
I am on par with you in terms of years of experience and pay. I have only 10% of your savings. 150k is really good. I have a flat, a car, 2 kids and failed business venture. Maybe if I don't have any of those I could touch 100k.