Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Unregistered

Default Luck plays a part - don't take it too personally

I'm an associate in some law firm in Singapore. I wanna thank all the posters here who try to share thoughtful comments with the rest of us.

Based on my limited experience and circles, it would appear that a lot of hiring is really arbitrary - much is based on timing. "Fit" is just another word for "likeability"/"chemistry", and just like any other job, some people are just luckier. But in this regard, confidence and a positive disposition can compensate for that. Have a thick skin.

This arbitrariness is a shame because lots of people get stuck in their initial year(s) of practice (bad mentor, bad firm) and then drop out; while at the same time their classmate/peer who is not much different on paper got lucky with another role.

But I think there's some things people can still do: grades stick with you for a while - so study hard (but I admit that intelligence is a limiting factor). Make genuine connections with people; ask questions - I think some associates still care enough to share. And for the rest, some may just like the feel of being a mentor, or just want to network with as many people as they can, or they just want your free coffee and cake. Don't be shy. Sometimes all it takes to get a job is to ask for it.

So for the fresh grads/trainees, don't be too disheartened if you're having difficulty (especially now, when firms are using covid as an excuse - seriously, the partners make so much in the good times it's shocking).

I hope that if you're at this stage you already have that determination to make it; but if not, do realise that the practice of law is but one option - we live in different times.

Would I have done it again? Probably not - but then again this may just be me being hit by 'grass is greener' syndrome.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app