Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Transition from corporate FP&A to ER
View Single Post
Old 09-08-2020, 02:35 PM

graduate1017 is on a distinguished road
Default Transition from corporate FP&A to ER

Hi, I graduated with a local uni Accountancy degree (FCH) and worked at a corporate FP&A role for just a little over a year now. Doing budgeting & forecasting, simple financial models and financial statement analysis etc.

My current company is quite small, progression is slow like a dinosaur, so I don't see myself having much opportunities beyond being promoted to a senior exec. The FP&A roles encompass a lot of accounting related job scopes like recon, etc because of its small size. I would prefer to be in a career where I am doing a lot of analysis, projections, forecasting etc.

I have been seriously contemplating pushing myself further and get into high finance for more opportunities, specifically the equity research side.

I am currently pursuing my CA and am wondering whether getting a CFA might be more relevant instead if I want to make this transition to ER. I am afraid I cannot commit to getting both CA and CFA at the same time, so am considering dropping CA. Is this is wise move?

I understand to make a career change, it's gonna take quite a bit of effort, to network, and pursue CFA etc, but I might want to give it a try.

Any tips on what are the odds of getting into ER for someone in my situation now? Do I drop CA and take the risk to pursue CFA?