Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 16-07-2020, 11:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Paying too high a salary to physician takes the altruism and sense of duty out of them.
We want them to serve with their heart, and empathise with their patients

Tbh doctor salaries r v decent compared to nursing and allied health
Labour however is still a significant portion of our medical cost

Too high a salary attracts the wrong kind of people.

It took years to build a system with reasonable but not excessive salaries.
And keep our healthcare affordable with minimum tax rates for the public

Welcome back home, welcome to a life of service.
What is a greater calling than serving your fellow singaporeans?

I implore you to join us in this great endeavour
I know there is a sense of sarcasm in that response but I will reply nonetheless.

To clarify, I am not looking for a high/higher income. I simply want to maintain our current quality of life or know it will not be a significant decline moving to SG. I have a decent income in the 1%. Comparing to Nursing or Allied Health in SG is setting the bar very low, since they are notoriously underpaid. For comparison, my PAs & NPs makes 120k per annum working 9-5pm weekdays, with 3 weeks of paid vacation per annum and benefits (extra for weekends). How do physician incomes compare to the other non-healthcare professions in SG. Are physicians in the 1%, 5%, or 10% bracket?

You can always make the flawed argument that paying physicians "too high" of an income takes the sense of duty and empathy out of them. Are you therefore suggesting that a high income is inversely correlated with the ability to serve with their heart and empathize with the common folk? I don't mean to be combative, but this is a common, flawed argument in healthcare that non-clinical administrators use to justify their own profit margins and bonuses.

I just want to know all of my options before making the decision. Thanks.