Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Should I switch to a higher paying job?
View Single Post
Old 15-07-2020, 07:14 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasminetea View Post
Hi! I am currently working for a MNC which allows me a lot of flexibility. I can work from home and take leave whenever I want to.* My boss is also very kind and understanding.

My pay is only $4000 per month including bonus. I have worked for 6 years and I'm a local university humanities graduate. My colleagues at a similar level are getting this pay too. They asked management many times for increase but the company said this is the standard salary set by the Singapore HR.

Now and then, I feel tempted to leave for a higher paying job. I see that most jobs in my industry pay more for similar roles.*

However, my health is not good. I have asthma and each time I get a flu, it can last several months with explosive coughing fits.*The industry I'm in (media) is notorious for its very long hours. I fear that my new job will either make my health problems worse, or that my new boss will not be so understanding. Currently, my boss lets me work from home whenever I am sick beyond my 1-2 days MC period, and she never complains about my explosive coughing fits.*

I am not really in need of money as I have an online business on the side which generates monthly income to supplement my full time job. So my motivation to get a higher pay is because of the following reasons: My parents keep comparing me to my younger cousins who are earning much more than me. Also, I feel I am badly underpaid for my qualifications and experience. And if I continue getting this low pay for a few more years then my next job is likely to not pay that well too after seeing my current pay.

Should I apply for other jobs, or accept my low*pay?*

It's not a good time to change job at the moment though, with coronavirus and the bad economy leading to many layoffs. Also, I am getting married soon and might start a family soon.

Thanks very much! I really appreciate any thoughts you could share!
Wow you're ridiculously underpaid! Fresh grads nowadays earn around 6k per month starting salary, you have 6 years experience, a local uni grad and is only getting paid 4k?! You really need to leave and find a new job that befits your experience and background, who cares about covid? No wonder your parents compare you to your relatives, 4k salary with 6 years experience is such a disgrace - leave this job to someone less qualified than you bruh.