Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I’m an unretained trainee who is planning to exit for a new career path after I get called. Does anyone have any good suggestions on what are some of the good career opportunities available out there? (Please don’t give troll answers like “law degrees are useless” or “go become a grab driver” because I have spoken with HRs and several other professionals that a law degree is actually seen useful across other industries too.) I’ve got a high 2:1 from a local school and I am also aware that there are industries out there where your degree is not as relevant. I have other friends who are unretained too. Many of them are thinking of quitting law altogether and it will be helpful to hear some of your thoughts so I could share with them as well.

Would appreciate some good suggestions thanks!
The pandemic prejudices many capable law grads who have worked very hard but have made the decision to exit because of the gloom prospects arising from the economic uncertainty (SG just officially entered into a deep recession). As a senior, I do want to help or advise as much as possible because it is a hard decision to be made.

Have a think about what you enjoy doing. Perhaps list out the types of activities you like (do you like research, client-facing, writing etc?) Personally I have known people who did law but realize they love talking to clients and they went on to business development or consultancy roles. I think a few other posters here have mentioned these two roles and I think they are probably quite feasible. I can also think of several cyber security roles including consultancy which is quite highly sought.

Let me know what you like doing and perhaps we can then explore more from there.