Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS , UOB , OCBC (A commoner climbing up the ranks)
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 06:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Most of not all “traditional” ops work are now being outsourced to places which are cheaper.

For BBs, ops grad scheme are very different now - you’re very focused on delivering high priority transformation projects (workflow automation, data analytics automation, tech/general strategy etc). So essentially, you’re the one driving the transformation.

At the end of the day, it all depends on your attitude and willingness to learn & future proof yourself.
Yes BBs' ops tend to be more focused on delivering value through transformation. However this thread is about the 3 local banks, and the ops depts in all 3 are heavily focused on 'traditional' ops. Even their grad schemes (DBS GA and OCBC GTP) are not exempt. Many fresh grads in local bank ops end up doing very manual and low value-added tasks that are at high risk of being disrupted. Many of them are lured by the decent pay, but imo that's being very short-sighted. If I'm a fresh grad, I'd rather take up one of those SGUnited traineeships in a tech firm to pick up some real tech skills and position myself for a well-paying tech job with good progression and career prospects than languish in a local bank's tech dept. It is well-known that local tech talent avoid local banks. Consequently, the fresh grad programmes of these banks are filled with non-CS grads as they have great difficulty attracting CS grads. Another consequence is that the tech depts are filled with foreign talent (no prizes for guessing the number 1 nationality). Even Prof Ben Leong of NUS advises fresh grads against doing tech at a local bank. All in all, be it ops or tech, unless you're about to retire, avoid local bank BO at all cost.