Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical Timeline for making a Hiring Decision
View Single Post
Old 10-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The government sector appears to punish those who make any mistake in their career. I joined a stat board at the start of this year but it turns out to be the wrong job fit and went to apply for jobs after 3 months. Every interview the panel will say I job hop even after I explained the reason for looking out and reject me. Like that is no one allowed to make a mistake? Then they have to suffer at the wrong company for how many more months or years then is more politically correct to look again?
Hey, dont be disheartened! If I may offer some hope/consolation, I also had very short 1-3 month stints on my resume but i managed to get job at a stat board anyway. I think the way you explain it really matters, because to the SB hiring it may seem like the problem was you, i.e. you are not a good fit for public sector/may not be in it for the long run, hence the decision to turn you down. In my case i guess it helped that my stints were from private sector, so i could play the whole "wanted to explore options in private sector before finally settling down in public sector" to let them know it was experimental and that my passion lays here.

Definitely try not too be too honest w your explanation, like saying that xx didnt suit you/you didnt like the culture etc/werent a good fit. Keep it vague and try to smoke them a bit lol. But this is a good lesson to other new hires, better to stick it out in a job for 1 year and build a resume than hop about 3 months each