Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 09-07-2020, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Default DipEd vs PGDE

Hi everyone,

I chanced upon this thread when I was researching on teaching as a MOE GEO. I was recently shortlisted for DipEd to teach Pri Art.

After reading almost every page on this forum, I feel a little discouraged by the fact that Diploma holders have much slower progression, much lower salary scale. Of course I do understand that this is how the system works, since Degree holders spent more time and money getting the education levels they have and so on.

I am just very concerned, is it true that Diploma holders take many years to progress? (I read somewhere in this thread that there were a couple of teachers who were stuck in GEO1 for 5-7 years before they could progress up to GEO2 and the same duration applies from GEO2 to GEO3). With this in mind, I would like some advice and clarity on the below:

(1) If I were to continue with DipEd, after completion of the 2 years studies, will I be able to upgrade myself with a Degree during bond period? Will my salary scale and progression opportunities be increased and assessed as a Degree holder then?

(2) Im also seriously considering if I should go for upgrading to get a Degree, then enroll in the PGDE programme after. Will this be a better option? But then I will have to give up my DipEd chance.

(3) If I were to give up my DipEd chance to upgrade myself, will this affect my chance in my application for PGDE in future?

Thanks in advance