Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS , UOB , OCBC (A commoner climbing up the ranks)
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2020, 11:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yep BO is a dead end. Even tech side. Local banks continue to use very dated legacy systems, so most of the tech skills you pick up will be pretty useless, unless you're looking to jump to another local bank. If you are a fresh grad eager to apply your newly-acquired Python skills, you will be sorely disappointed. Most of the programming languages local banks use for their systems and software were born before you, and so do not reflect current best practices in programming. Moreover, these languages are highly obscure and closed-source, making them useless for anything else and consequently not valued by the market. To top it all off, local banks tend not to develop their own banking systems in-house. Instead, they outsource it to IT vendors. So in all likelihood, you will end up as a glorified IT vendor manager.

Ops side is no better. Lots of manual processing work. Filled with boomers as well. That generation's mindset is dominated by a focus on making an honest living through hard work, and not so much about developing skills. However, the reality is that today's economy is a skills-based one. Data entry and manual checking are not skills you want to be developing.
hais sucks then, how? now cant find job lei. i will be starting in a ops role soon in some grad program. gg sia, the thing is i didnt study finance, but some chapalang business degree.

how would i be able to transit into back/front? was thinking about going for masters in finance, but i cant seem to justify the cost. damn expensive sia even for local.

55k nus, 45k smu - somemore now the job market is bad. so should i just take the job first?