Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 29-06-2020, 10:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I’m a junior in one of the tier one practices in a big firm. How does one achieve to produce high quality for Corp work? What are the things should you look out for yourself and remind yourself? One thing that my bosses tell me is to check and check and check. But I’m wondering if there are any methods or tips which you guys can share.
I guess first and foremost have a clear understanding of what the transaction is and what the document is trying to achieve. Only then can you check that the documents reflect the terms and contain the correct mechanics. Most importantly, you should check that the document is compliant with whichever law is being applied.

Moving from the macro to the micro, check that each clause in the document works as intended and do not conflict one another. Check also that the figures and numbers are correct (e.g. consideration is accurately reflected). Beyond that, the small details need to be checked as well, like the names of the parties, UEN, dates, cross-references, punctuation, etc.

The above is not meant to be comprehensive. I suppose at the junior level you should focus on getting the micro things right. Once you start to gain more experience and become more proficient in checking for the micro things, you can move onto the macro things. The sooner you can do this, the better, and the more value add you can bring.

But ultimately if you're not clear on the task, you should not be afraid to ask your bosses what they mean when they ask you to "check", on the assumption that you've thought about their instructions and still can't figure out what they want.