Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-06-2020, 03:00 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
No regrets here. Personally I think the trade-off is very much worth it, and its not too hard to make new friends (be they Brits or other internationals).

Yes of course you’ll earn much more. When you hit NQ your salary can double (or triple for some firms) which is saying a lot since you can already live quite comfortably off a trainee salary. At that point you’ll be saving up a considerable amount every month.

The salty guy above mentioned taxes and racism. Tax wise, you know what you’re getting yourself into when you apply here. Not to mention, with CPF deductions, its really not that much more of a tax compared to SG (I know CPF is still technically ours, but only in the very long term).

Racism I think is quite a subjective topic. I’ve not felt disadvantaged because of race, except maybe when trying to pull an angmoh girl (but even then better odds to do that here than in SG). Its true that there was an SG student who got beat up over coronavirus in London a few months back after all, but London is even more cosmopolitan than SG and by and large you’ll probably be mixing with other young professionals where race doesn’t factor in at all.
Yea you earn much more but the tax is 33% for a salary of 100K GBP (counting in tiers)? That's an awful lot. 40% rate if above 100K GBP. Minus rent - 1.2K GBP per month or about 14K GBP a year. Minus flights 3 times a year. Minus additional CoL vs SG.

Racism Is A Thing. Good that you never experienced it, some of us have.

Where did you study?