View Single Post
Old 24-06-2020, 03:17 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
lmao so many words just to say know your place coolie

truly a lawyer

I kinda understand his sentiment.

Lately, there has been a lot of posts dissing SMU UK schools and UK 2.1s, as well as delisted schools. C'mon guys COVID is hitting our industry and still got time to diss here diss there. Everyone is in the same boat - please don't take your frustrations out on where someone got educated at.

Grades/school are an absolutely trash way to decide someone's individual aptitude, attitude and potential. It only serves as an indicator, and not conclusive proof. This is practice. Not SCHOOL. Stop worshipping false idols, start doing and improving yourself.

The legal profession is diverse enough to accomodate people from all backgrounds. If you studied locally, can you read / know English cases better than a UK graduate? (at the same level, aptitude, background, etc).

This is such a Year 1 Sem 1 mentality - the world has been 'unfair', I came from X school that is better than Y school. Oh I came from NUS so I must stand necessarily better prospects than the 'degree mills' (one common example used being KCL and I do not agree). The schools that are visited by droves of recruiters paying top dollar overseas are inferior to the local schools.

Surely there cannot be such a difference in value between what those firms saw, and what local firms see.

Those firms are about twice or three times as difficult to get your foot in the door. Ask anyone. Those who did apply and get jobs will tell you that the application process and interviews are really 3x the length and 2x the difficulty.

Case interview. Group interview. 1 to 1 with HR partner. IQ test. EQ test. Write 1000 words on why you want to join the MC. Demonstrate commercial awareness. Talk about a deal we did that interests you. Tell me about how the markets affect our practice. Don't forget, you're Asian and will always be.

If someone prefers to pay to take that gamble, who is to tell him or her and his or her parents that it is a bad investment? No one tells you or your parents how to spend money, so who are you to say that going there is bad for prospects and what you think is just a print job of a degree?

Sure, so what if X school is better. Does it make a difference to your prospects of getting a job that you want? Or is someone being from Y school that you think is a degree mill / less rigorous going to affect your prospects?

Does it challenge or offend your narrow worldview?

Think about it, and stop your childish comparisons. A bigoted view is absolutely not going to assist you in soothing your frustrations nor in legal practice.