Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2020, 08:41 PM
3 PQE Liti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why do you wish to stay in private practice? That would be my first question. Most people stay in private practice because they see it as good money or a viable future career path (partner). I can think of very few other reasons why people stay in private practice.

So here is my two cents. I'm the OP you quoted by the way.

If your end game is to go in-house anyway, then you might as well move now. Regressing in your PQE means taking a somewhat major paycut [pqe3-NQ] and you'll need another 3 to 4 years to match what you're currently earning.

And what happens if in the next 6mths to a year you decide you don't like private practice corp - you will be in an extremely weak negotiation position going in-house since your last drawn pay would be the equivalent to that of an NQ-1pqe. You would also not be eligible to apply for corp-intensive in-house roles, since you do not have the requisite experience in this area of law (at least from a HR perspective). What this means is that you will likely be relying on your liti exp/localisation to pivot into an in-house role - basically, you will be in the exact same position you're in right now - except with a really shitty last drawn pay.

Going in-house now would allow you to at least negotiate for a 20% pay rise from what you're currently earning (maybe not so much in the current economy, but i'd say you still have a good shot at getting a decent pay increase).

Ofc, many will argue that the pay increases for in-house counsels are much slower than private practice. This is true, i went from practice-in-house-practice.... but many of my peers who left practice at the same stage as you still manage to negotiate a decent salary at their respective PQEs. Think 4-5pqe at 8-10k and 6-8 PQE at 10-12K (pre-covid).

It would be interesting to know what you decide in the end... do keep us updated!
Thanks again for your and the others' responses.

Yes my end-game is to go in-house. The current (possibly wishful) strategy is to stay in private practice so as to reach as high an "exit salary" as possible for companies to match.

I do really agree with your weak bargaining position analysis though. It is not unlikely that I will end up hating corp with the same long hours in a Big 4.

Do you think it'd be possible to negotiate my salary for the Big 4 corp role? I just interviewed with them last week and nothing was mentioned about remuneration.

I guess I am ok taking a 10% paycut which would still give me more than $6k monthly, and not that huge a setback in terms of going in-house shortly after.