Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2020, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do examiners keep track of how many times one failed part A? Really struggling.. for those who have failed before and passed later, do you mind sharing how you managed to overcome the exam eventually? Grateful for any advice on ways to improve..
When you finally pass, you get a document setting out each of your attempt(s) and your results for each attempt. So if you attempted land law 4 times, the 4 times will be printed there. e.g.

2016 Session 2
COMPANY LAW - PASS
CRIMINAL LAW - PASS
SINGAPORE LEGAL SYSTEM - PASS
EVIDENCE LAW - PASS
LAND LAW - FAIL

2017 Session 1
LAND LAW - FAIL

2017 Session 2
LAND LAW - FAIL

2018 Session 1
LAND LAW - PASS

It's not to rub salt in your wounds, and you don't have to show this terrible record to anyone (nobody I know has ever asked for it). But you may have to explain why you have this gap between your graduation and starting Part B. It's only natural lah, especially if you graduated 2016 and finally only joined the workforce in like 2020.

Most people can generally explain this away by working as a legal exec or para during this time. But if you stayed at home jacking off and watching anime, too bad.

Which subjects did you fail? If you failed SLS, your degree is probably fake - SLS is the legal equivalent of an IQ test lah, it's impossible to fail.

Evidence law, this one also second easiest lah. It's actually not hard and I dunno how to help you if you failed it.

Criminal law, there was one year they asked how LKY's experiences in WW2 informed the criminal justice system we have today. I still dunno how this is related to criminal law, but if you failed because of a question like that, I totally understand. Other than this sort of boliao question, criminal law is damn easy and if you failed it I dunno how to help you.

Company law, the trick is don't pierce the veil. Apparently Walter Woon doesn't like it if you suggest piercing the veil as an answer. His explanation was that he doesn't know if you know the concept of separate legal personality if you do that. So...yeah. Resist the temptation. The answers may sound like they're designed to trip you up but that's only because you're an inexperienced noob. Enter legal practice and you will see for yourself.

Land law, the trick is read the case law. Sometimes the examiners just borrow from the case law and you might be surprised - the exam question on all fours with a case you studied. Damn boliao but true. Just changed the parties names only.

Obviously if you were weak in law to begin with (eg cannot tell diff between director and shareholder weak, or dunno that a trust isn't a contract) then cannot help you lah, part A by nature presumes you got standard to begin with. If you anyhow your way thru your degree with Book of Mormon etc, too bad for you.