Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 22-06-2020, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi I've been seeing a lot of posts about how a UK LLM is not very useful, but other than not being super useful is there any harm in doing a LLM? Any reason why I shouldn't do it?

(I mean more like any prejudices resulting from it, not things like cost - am very fortunate that money won't really be a problem, parents are very supportive and I've checked and I can pay for it myself too)

Also because I always see someone bashing on students trying to cure undergrad grades with an LLM, before that person starts scolding me I'm at a good 2:1 now, so I'm not trying to do an LLM to do that. I'm just very interested to study overseas and get a masters because I'm not sure when else I will have to do one and I feel like I'd be happy to do it now, so I just want to check if there are any negative implications/negative mindsets towards it.

Thank you!
I'm nowhere near senior enough to have any actual insight into what goes into hiring decisions, but as someone who was also considering an LLM, the advice that I've gleaned from the earlier posts is that the main negative is the opportunity cost of the time spent on the Masters that could've been time spent in practice (provided practice is the end goal). So just make sure you're willing to benchmark yourself against equivalent actual PQE peers as opposed to against the batch you did undergrad with.