Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Value of good academic credentials
View Single Post
Old 28-06-2011, 11:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoteric View Post
Just wanted to start this topic to encourage some discussion.

Do good university results put you at a significant advantage when it comes to graduate job applications? I suggest to limit this discussion to private sector jobs because it is well known that civil service jobs have a significant focus on academic results.

How important is a first class honours? Or what if the person was the top ranked student of the course? What kind of "advantage" does having these academic credentials can one expect compared to another candidate, ceteris paribus? Can such stellar academic results make up for a less than stellar CCA record?

I guess on one hand you could be impressed, on the other hand you could interpret the person as having no life outside studies.

Assumptions are
1. Reputable UK/US/SG universities. Probably can leave Oxbridge and reputable Ivys out because the brand name of this universities speak for themselves even w/o stellar results.
2. Private sector jobs (as reasoned above)
3. Graduate positions (For graduates who have left university <5 years)
4. Reasonable presentation skills, social skills (to exclude out bookrooms/geeks)
5. Average CCA record in uni.

Any recruiters/interviewers can share their comments?
u just have an advantage in the interview process, because most employers will throw away the other CVs....

then its up to u on how to perform in the interview and in the job...

n notice the language u r putting across here... its like u r seeking approval from other ppl, like employers... my advice to u is work hard, save money and start a business... otherwise u will always be working for others... u will nv be rich working for others....