Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 04-06-2020, 10:27 PM
Unregistered

Lol this was such a juicy thread.

For 2.2k guy: just take it for now. As mentioned by several people, fresh grads have little to no bargaining power so you can probably forget about asking for an increase. From HR's point of view, internships and whatever short stints you previously had basically amount to 0 work experience. That said, it's sad that 2.2 is going to be your starting rate (i empathize, i really do) but a start somewhere is better than going nowhere.

You should also consider that the economy is not in your favor right now (as much as i wish it was), and everyone else is also starting at a dismal market rate, so you can use this as some sort of consolation that you're not the only one being low balled i guess...

NOT TO SAY that degrees are worthless now, but in this economy, yes they have lost much of their MARKET VALUE so don't expect to have employers match up to previous market rates.

As for the other fresh grads that had a bone to pick with the comment which set off this contention, take it w a pinch of salt because there is honestly some merit to be gleaned from whatever he said about fresh grads' bargaining power and worth in the workforce.