Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 01:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi, would like some advice..

i am a male nus fass grad (2008) and worked in a statboard until i left last Sep due to conflict with my supervisor. have been applying for pte and public sector generalist jobs but have not been invited for any interview. am suspecting very tough competition for admin or generalist roles compared to stem jobs.

at my age (late 30s) some jobs like signing on army are out of the question although i would kill my own mother for the opportunity

since its coming to a year of unemployment, if you were in my shoes, would you:

a) take an engineering or IT degree from any of the pte unis (since i have 'wasted' my chance on an fass degree)

b) continue applying for jobs and hope for a miracle

c) join the blue collar workforce (eg. lorry driver)

I am a history grad too. Graduated 10 years after you. The degree isn't useless though it isn't useful. Find a contract job, and then upskill yourself. Like what others have said, employers value a diverse range of skillsets.

I get how you feel. In my current job and there is already conflict with my supervisor. It got so bad that im dreading work even though I am working from home. Have you tried approaching your higher ups to request for a transfer or something, in your previous job?

By the way, how many applications have you sent out? I have sent 150+ applications within the last 2 months and no replies thus far. A butt-ton of rejections though.