Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 29-05-2020, 11:43 AM
Unregistered

Old pte grad here, sharing my thoughts from 10 yr exp in the workforce:

hiring sentiment was similar to current climate, though it was on the up back then post GFC.

Suggest fresh grads to chart a short (1yr) and mid term (3y) career goals.
My 1y career goal was a “honeymoon period”: observe the industry + roles that interest me. More importantly, to see how the real working world operates and that’s why you can’t really do the above during schooling period. Cliche as it may be, its really not what most fresh grads (be it public/ Pte grads) perceive it to be.

3y goal was to be in a junior role based on the y1 findings. Meanwhile throw in some upskilling plans as well, be it short term courses or other skill sets. Masters and further studies may not be for everyone (at least not for me). I won’t advocate career planning beyond 5 yr; too volatile.

Specifically for Pte grads, lesser doors are open to us and it’s important to chart REALISTICALLY while maintaining some risk appetite. There is enough money (if it’s your key measure) in roles within each industry, beyond traditional glam areas. Eg IBs that people so love to discuss, yet out of reach for most.

Started @35k pa in y0, currently @150k pa, non-sales role. Not flexing (if it even qualifies one). Happy camper being the anecdotal median of my age group despite the slow start, meaning some of u will far exceed this, and much faster.