Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-05-2020, 02:44 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I graduated from a local uni. I have been studying hard, not travelling for any exchange programs, only to be trained at a mid sized firm and I have not been retained.

I know I have problems finding an associate position. Now, I envy those party goers/travel lust in law school who also studied and enjoyed themselves. I know of a lot of people who went overseas and had fun but still managed to get retained in big fours/int firms, maybe employers like them. Maybe they are got more worldly and street smart from having different experiences. I don’t know.

I just feel that no matter how much I study I still can’t beat those party goers/wanderlusts. Why is life unfair.
Why can't everyone do law? Why is life unfair? Life is inherently unfair deal with it. You can keep looking for an answer to why life is unfair but not find a real solution.

The only firms that are more 'desirable' than B4 are Baker and CC, to the mind of a fresh grad at least. The rest - if you're not doing international work fully, not a big deal. It doesn't impress anyone. You can play pretend, though.

Pay is not the only metric. The B4 provide future employers with a mark of having been trained. It looks great on the CV

Grades are only one aspect. You must learn and know how the world works to be a better lawyer. We aren't talking about the metaphysical world. The best cross-examiners are those who know how the human mind works. The best lawyers know how the game is played, not what 100 cases on the subject say. The best corporate lawyers know why a legally sound solution will fall through. You must also be liked.

I think you still have a clean slate. Take it and roll with it. F the presumption that you're incompetent. Cast your net far and see what you get. In any case, most of your friends won't be in practice after 2 years. They'll stay for 1 to 1.5 years max. Some even 6 months. You'll be free to take their place at 2PQE.

Just find a good mentor. Opportunities will always be there.