Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2020, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
To the poster of post #5581

Worth it as in career/salary wise.

Assuming that i'm not aiming to be a partner, is it better to leave practice earlier to go inhouse (e.g. 2-3 year PQE) and get a better work-life balance but face a higher risk of plateauing in your career as an inhouse counsel?

Or will it be better in terms of career/salary progression if i bite the bullet and stay till i'm a senior associate with 6 years of PQE before moving inhouse? I am under the assumption that taking the latter option will be better in terms career/salary progression as an inhouse counsel.

Thank you for your advice!

And to the poster above me. god damn yeah im in litigation. im just wondering wth man. even the partners are staying late and responding immediately to their emails over the weekends.
This comes from your junior in practice, from what little I know.

Okay if you're in litigation you might want to move to corporate. In-house is easier from there. You are likely to be less jaded and have a lot more free time. Just avoid the Big 4. Senior counsel? Forget it. One of the pre-requisites is contributing to the development of the law (meaning, appeal, argue novel issue that has not been ever argued by reference to foreign cases, apply. Also good if you are MP or active in Law Society, and liked by your peers. You must also be competent, and have a good relationship with the Bench).

Anyone that fulfils these pre-requisites will be considered. Winning cases against other SCs will also beef you up. You don't have to be DS or MH to be an SC. Heck, you can even be scolded occasionally by judges who hate you. But you must be respected. This takes years of practice unless you are a genius.

At the end of it, even if you don't make SC, you'll still be respected in legal circles. Find a niche and get good. For DS - cross examination. MH - arbitration.

If you want in-house, go corp. You will be decent but not a millionaire. If money is your only object, leave law and set up a hedge fund from all the bonuses you saved. Thank me later.