Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Fresh Engineering Grad want to switch to Banking
View Single Post
Old 20-06-2011, 01:04 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you can get 1st class hons, go for it. Its always good to have that in your resume, it shows you have brains. Even if you don't join the gov sector. And if you do join the gov sector, you'll probably get around $200 more than someone with 2nd upper. Good luck.

If I could turn back the clock I should have studied law, or studied finance and become a banker instead of being a typical engineer. Its not that being an engineer is bad, but compared to the pay you can get in US, what we get in Singapore is lousy.
BTW, I forgot to add that its not true that engineers only get 4k. I know of plenty of engineers in gov sector getting around 5k before bonus, 5 years after graduation. However, the pay increment probably slows down from there. So, engineers make an OK living, but certainly a far cry from lawyers (fresh from school at 5k!). Don't even get me started on the bankers and traders. I know of one forex trader working for a bank with a bloody BMW and he's younger than me. Damn.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app