Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 30-04-2020, 08:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ok, I mean personal injury isn't that bad. Some PQE is better than no PQE, and you can always leave for better after you've gotten a lot of advocacy experience
It's true those who have the grit to stick it out during the glut would likely be able to move to higher value work within law, but unfortunately many get disillusioned and leave the industry which explains the shortage of mid-level lawyers. In my experience at least, PI practice basically surrounds representing shady car workshops (and taxi drivers) to siphon money off insurers with exaggerated claims and the help of dodgy medical expert witnesses. Now you know the reason why your insurance premiums are getting more expensive.

Senior lawyers used to preach that private practice is about survival of the fittest and your returns will grow proportionately to the number of years in practice. But that is not true anymore - salaries have stagnated or even decreased, partnership offers are few and far between but working hours and welfare are not getting any better. The biggest lie in my opinion is that there are many career opportunities outside law.