Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 29-04-2020, 10:59 AM
Unregistered

Default Annual Salary of an Average Engineering

I am 36 this year, been an engineer in the construction industry since I graduated at 25. Noticed there isnt much posting of an engineers salary. Hence, I decided to shed some light and hope people can make more informed decisions before joining the trade.

25-27 at Company A - Around 2.7 k a month w/ 6 months bonus, annual around 48k
27 -29 at Company B - Around 3.5 k a month w/ 2 months bonus, annual around 48 k
29 -31 at Company C - Around 4.2 k a month w/ 1 month bonus, annual around 55 k
31 - 32 at Company D - Around 5 k a month w/ 2 months bonus, annual around 70 k
32-35 at Company E - Around 5.5 k a month w 2 months bonus, annual around 77 k

I pretty much jumped from company to company very frequently to keep increasing my pay, and I realised that working for someone else isnt going to make much of a fortune.

I decided to come out on my own at 36, and am projected in making around 120 k this year, despite COVID-19. I just started to gain traction and I think I can probably pull in more in future.

All I want to say is if you want to make money fast and climb the ladder up high, its probably advisable to go into the finance field or other field, engineering is one of the slowest way to grow your wealth and even going entrepreneurial in engineering won't really make a bucket of money.

My Opinion of Engineering:

Pros: Stable, Can work until very old as there is not much age discrimination in engineering, in fact age can somehow add value in the engineering and construction industry.

Cons: Low starting salary, slow wage progression, lack of recognition from others ( we are always associated with cheap foreign labour, which is true and we are often competing against the cheaper guys from china, Malaysia, Philippines, India, Myanmar the list goes on which probably explains the low wage)

I hope my post do help people make informed decisions before considering stepping into engineering and construction.