Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 26-04-2020, 07:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
LOL this is such a stupid statement on so many levels and does not reflect offshore firm culture in the slightest.

Let me guess - white-worshipping small local firm junior assoc with a second upper from some unheard of uk uni?

The right answer is probably that the offshore firms dont practice litigation here, which local expertise (that cannot be found overseas) is concentrated in. Corporate work like M&A, intl arbi, banking, ECM/DCM - foreign lawyers can come into SG and do it just as well if not better than local lawyers. The low numbers of local partners in these firms is a matter of statistics and the traditional ways these firms hire i.e. from their headquarters. There are only 4-5k lawyers in Singapore -> far fewer than can do work at the level of an offshore firm. This would be the big 4 trained corp lawyers (or really only two of the big 4 firms, local corp assocs would know what Im talking about)

Okay, I'm not the poster you responded to but I'm the one before. I've worked in both international and Big 4 and my school is well-known. Whatever you say does not apply to me or offend me in the slightest bit.

That being said you need to change your childish mindset. Not everything is about 'some unheard of UK uni' having to bow down to you because your school is better than theirs, or you trained or worked at XYZ so you're better. C'mon mate, show a little basic human decency.

Do you feel good deriding those 'unheard of' universities when we do have famous people from those unis and small firms? I'm sure you just offended a few of them.

If you're as good as you think you are, show it but don't talk it. The industry is diverse. Many schools, many firms. Learn not to offend people with your stunted maturity and inflated ego - it offends not only the people you're prejudiced against, but everyone else with good sense.