Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Local Uni Class of 2020 - COVID19 Batch - Are your lowering your expectations?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2020, 09:11 PM
FASS gradxx

Default Hindsight

Hello dear juniors,

I was from fass and make abt 15k/mth after working 10+ years (caveat im in banking)

If you think that's crazy, it's actually not..becos some ppl ard my age have already become heads of finance, heads of compliance etc and they shld make even more.

A girl whom i went on exchange with in uni has already sold her first company (also ex-fass).

I understand the starting salary is impt for most ppl (including myself when i was younger). But with the benefit of hindsight, what's more impt than that 3k-5k is your POTENTIAL and what YOU DO over the next 10-20 years.

If you have a certain passion or strength, then try and think about how you can monetize it. (be it cooking, web designing etc). Take a job to learn a skill, how to do certain things..not only to earn a salary.

If you want to be a trader, then start to code, start to invest (yes, during this circuit breaker!). Take that 3k trading job over the 4k+Operations job. If you stick to it, i'd bet my dollar that after 10-20years, that fund manager/CIO is the guy starting with 3k, not that 4k guy. (Of cos the Ops person could end up as the COO)

It is all about your POTENTIAL in the long run, not so much about your starting salary (and it doesn't matter whether it's local or pte uni)

When you're young, you can afford to take a bit more risk becos you have less to lose.

I will not be replying further..hope the above will provide motivation to some of you.. All the best and good luck!