Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2020, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think the more important question is: how is the company doing? and i don't just mean surface level checks on glassdoor.

Is it a listed company? What's was their Ebita? Ebita for the region? What is their pitch to the shareholders? who are the directors? are the directors industry people - what is their background? Any plan for growth in the region? Any retrenchments? CEO keep changing every 2/3 years?

You need to research the company as if you are an investor... because you're pretty much betting your future career that this company can remain alive and competitive for as long as you want to work for them.

I went in house... had such a terrible experience... went back to practice after 2 years. I'm not saying don't accept the offer... but you should go in with your eyes wide open. If the company isn't doing so well.... job security will become an issue... for sure... and as much as practice is stressful, i've pretty much never had to worry on a daily basis if i would be retrenched the next day. I was also a regional counsel. You still won't be privy to management decisions at this level... not high enough.

Sorry for the rant - PTSD from those 2 years.

Be careful. Thread carefully.

Don't burn bridges, make room so if you want to return in future there is still a road left to take.
agree 100%.

also wanna add that be very wary of sole counsel roles.
more often than not, the hours don't justify the paycut you'll have to take.