Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-06-2011, 01:41 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Got slightly better offer from another govt sector.

Even if i tender on 14 Jun, i still have to stay till end of July? That's more than one mth notice.

So, meaning they will not pull out my benefits even tot i submitted my resignation on 14 Jun and/or 1 Jul. Am i right?
If you tender on 14 June, you would have to stay till 31 July to receive the bonus. The key is that you must still be in service on 31 July. You can choose to tender later, ie. 30 June. Then it would be one month's notice. In fact, they may not permit you to stay beyond the one month's notice (since they must still pay you), so you had better check with HR first. So whether they do or do not give you the bonus is really a matter of HR policy; I suggest the safest route is to simply tender on 30 June/1 July and avoid all this unnecessary grief. However, if the government sector offer is substantially better, you may be better off leaving earlier since your PB and all other bonuses next year would be pro-rated according to your date of joining this year. I also know that in some departments, joining after 1 July may mean that you are not appraised for this year, so you may lose out somewhat in the following year's performance grading. You will need to assess everything and decide whether it's worthwhile to stay the extra month. If you are drawing $4k a month, then you are only losing out on $2,250 if you leave before 31 July. In return, you will gain an extra month (1/12) on the pro-rating of the 13th month bonus at the end of this year, and 1/12 on next year's performance bonus (and any mid-year bonus the government may dish out in 2012). In other words, it may not be worthwhile to hang around for an additional month just for $2k.