Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm a male teacher. n i have been stuck at geo 3 for 7 years already. last promoted in 2013, back then it wasn't called geo 3, it was called something else.

anyway i was stuck in geo 3 from 2013 to 2020. got mostly c with a few C+. i was in charge of 2 years of school level events, also got osca awards before. Plus im a male teacher. All my R.Os over the past few years never highlighted that i commited any major mistakes before. Is my pace of promotion normal?

i have female colleagues who got C- before, colleague who never had to do school level events before, n they all got promoted to geo4 faster than me.

time to change sch?
Just wanted to check, are you a Dip Edder? If you are, chances are progression will be slower than those with degree. I was in a similar situation too. Was promoted to a 2A2 in 2014 then went on 2 year half pay leave to do an upgrade to degree at NIE. Then in 2015, all officers were converted to the GEO no. 1 to 5 scheme and for 2A2s, I was pegged as a GEO 3. Got transferred to a new school in 2016 due to change of home address and got promoted to a 4 this year. So I 'hentak-kaki' for about 6 years. I had approached my VP before regarding this matter and he said it is all at the hands of HQ. He also mentioned, it can be 'time based'. Sometimes I feel, it's also up to whether your P pushes for it / if you have a supportive school culture that recognises your work. For myself, I believe it was a JIT promotion. I joined the service since 2008, as a female, 12 - 2 years (in NIE) as starting out as a Dip Edder should be considered normal. As for yourself, why not seek an appointment with your P and highlight your concerns? All the best, if not in April perhaps in October? Continue to keep your chin up.