Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Recruitment Agency hounding me for money after I changed my mind about a job offer.
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2020, 03:49 PM

AccidentallyAgain is on a distinguished road
Default Recruitment Agency hounding me for money after I changed my mind about a job offer.

First off, let me be clear in admitting that I am an idiot. Yes, I should have been more anal when I was signing documents and asked a lot of questions. I am currently working a job with a low pay, and recently had the opportunity to go for a job interview for a much higher pay. I was so happy when I got the offer and so I accepted, but then due to various reasons, I changed my mind.

Now, the agency is asking me for money (1 month plus worth of offer) as compensation for changing my mind. Because, the second I verbally agreed to the offer, I cannot change my mind without being penalised. I am considered to be in breach of an agreement to service (failure to commence). This is bad for me as the offer is a big jump from my current pay. I am living paycheck to paycheck and simply can't afford to pay the amount they are asking for.

I have since offered to work at the company since my date of commence is still awhile away. The agency wants to talk to me on the phone but at this point I rather everything be in written form where it can be recorded.

I've seen some people post here about being summoned to Small Claims Tribunal court but not much have shared the outcome.