Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2020, 01:02 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
OP here again. I agree with your sentiment on big firms. I do not have experience working in a big firm and my friends that are have mentioned the 2008 retrenchment to me as well in our recent conversations. I do not doubt the voracity of your claims.

I think the small/med firm perspective is slightly different. While i agree that the insolvency market is saturated, i also feel that a lot of that saturation comes from high-priced lawyers (whether still in big firms or those who have broken off from bigger firms and now fall under the small/med category). The point being, they are high-priced.

Small/med firms have the benefit of being able to offer lower fees and we usually see an influx of cases during times like these. We get these cases because companies simply can't afford to pay these lawyers their high-fees.

As for debt collection... paralegals ask for a lot of money these days. The cost of an experience paralegal is about the same as the cost of an NQ-1 yr PQE lawyer, maybe even more. All things being equal, my preference would still be to have someone who can do the weekly court runs.

My position remains unchanged. No files - no work - no jobs. But if junior assocs are willing to bite the bullet (take a lot lower pay and handle cases they generally wouldn't handle), i think there may still be space for them in the industry.
Hi OP - can you share more about what you have heard about the 2008 retrenchments, in particular the big 4 local firms?