Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Anyone jobless for a long time before?
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2020, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

Finally, I’ve landed a job after 3 months of being jobless. Been a silent reader in this thread and words of encouragement by some to others definitely brought a smile to my face when I persevered through. So, I thought I will "Pay It Forward", hopefully, assist anyone here.

I am hoping to share three points of discussion. They are:

1. Change your resume
2. Take charge in interviews
3. Managing your mindset

I will start-off with point number 1. If this kicks off, I will follow up with point number 2 and 3.

1. Change your resume

Part A: Template design

I was one of those guilty of using the standard generic template of white-background and blue fonts with horizontal line across as margins (as mentioned by posting number #2666).

I came across a posting in HWZ forum, the user mentioned how he managed to get the HR department to reply to his job application simply by revamping his resume – colour and design template.

Curious, I googled those fancy resume style and try to imitate them using Microsoft words. I actually did up four different resume templates style – yes four different templates, you heard me right. Once done, I friends to assist me by choosing which resume will they pick based on design alone. We narrowed it down to two.

Part B: Outline and Details

I am going to be honest here, this next part is rather challenging. Afraid not, I will share my knowledge here. I did a research on what will be best to indicate on your resume and some are opinions of my own. Finally, I decided on this skeleton outline.

First Column:
i. Contact – Phone, Email, LinkedIn
ii. Personal Info – D.O.B (this is subjective. I am in the opinion that if you’re young please indicate. If not, remove and use the ‘Work Experience’ section to leverage yourself. I believe, mathematically, the HR team can gauge your age based on your graduation year from school and your work experience timeline – if they choose to.) and nationality (Crucial as HR need to know if you’re require any work pass or not).
iii. Skills – In point form format*. These skills should relate to your work experience. I list down a max of 8 skills.
iv. Technology – In point form format*.
v. Languages – In point form format*.

*A youtxbxr (can’t recall his name; I will need to find this out in my history log), shared out of the most important and crucial tip, which I find it absolutely brilliant. Below is his tip:

"....If you’re one of those who design your resume by indicating a certain level of knowledge to a particular skill, please remove them IMMEDIATELY. For example, Python [7 out of 10 stars]. Imagine a company need to hire a ‘Rock Star’ but once they see a 7 out of 10 stars. They will proceed with the next best candidate.

Here’s the interesting part, what if I tell you that the company definition of ‘Rock Star’ could potentially be you based on the knowledge you have at the moment. If they want to test your knowledge, the company will prepare their own set of questions. So never undermine yourself to begin with!!!...."

Second Column:
i. Professional Summary – Max of 3 sentences.
ii. Work Experience – the standard format, and in point form sentences. No lying for this. I have a 10 months gap which is a definite killer. But I use my interview skillset to overcome it.
iii. Education / Professional Certificates – standard format.

With all those details down (please proof-read) and complete on both resume templates, I randomly select and use either one whenever I apply for jobs.

BAM! I was surprised that there was definitely an increase in replies from HR department. Though sometimes they were rejection email, I was delighted. This actually proves one thing – the new resume templates have opened the door to the HR department.

Moreover, I support posting number #2666, he (I don’t want to gender discriminate. But if you’re a she, let me know and I’ll edit this) advocate the idea of changing to a more fresher and creative resume template will help to land you more job interviews.

He even pushes the envelope by advising to refine key details to a modern and millennial style of phrasing. Quote by him “dont just say you have experience in “customer service” – change it up: FRONTLINE CUSTOMER CARE/ RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT / STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENT”.

If you’re still using the old iconic “white-background and blue fonts” template, its time to give them up. I encourage everyone here to 'Change your resume template and details'.

**PS: In all honesty, I believe your resume is a key to unlock the HR department door. For once, put yourself in their shoe and ask yourself, from a whole stack of resume application which will defintely catch your eye?
(a) A generic style template, or (b) one with colours and great design that is sure to catch your attention.