Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Civil Service Performance Bonus
View Single Post
Old 22-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The unfortunate truth is that they need to retain talent. If not, many will join the private sector, and people like you may have nothing to eat.
I am from the private sector so I would be as fair as I can here. They can have their bonuses and stuff because that is part of their pay package. It was clear when I joined the private sector that I have a much bigger ambition than what the CS can provide opportunity for (am in Banking) and honestly I hate the layers of reporting and appraisal.

Fast forward 10 years, I got to say, I had good times where the bonus is undeclared to the public and it is in the region of 6 to 10 months. I had my bad times where my entire unit was merged and 80% of my colleagues were released within days. I always know job security is never part of the equation for my job and businesses come and go.

I am actually happy that our government provided our CS with a good pay package and never shut down like our friends in US when there is a political deadlock. Those in the CS, no matter talented or not as claimed earlier, need to eat and cloth their families. They have taken the well travelled path with job security while the rest of us explore uncharted terrain and potentially gain Instant richness.

They are our brothers and sisters as well. My son and daughter go to school where they are taught well, I want the neighborhood safe with police presence, I want people to defend us 24/7 and Most recently, I want frontliners when the Covid 19 virus comes to our shore. The list goes on. They also deserve their pay for their hard work. Just that it was declared In public shouldn’t make it a subject of hate for the rest of us. It has always been a choice. If you feel the public sector is all that wonderful, then go join them. I do have many colleagues who was from CS and was so happy that they managed to get out of CS. The grass may not always be greener on the other side. Each his best.