Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 08-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am aware of how the AO scheme works, just not how much they are remunerated. Neither did I indicate at any point that I was planning to join the AO scheme, but even if I was planning to, I am doubtful I will cause the civil service any embarrassment. I just want to know how much a 30-year-old male AO would earn, and whether that salary is competitive with what someone of his ability would earn in the private sector. At a time when the electorate is concerned about the salaries of their ministers, it stands to reason that we should also examine the pay of our civil service officers, especially the elite who are being trained to become ministers some day.
No, it doesn't stand to reason to conflate political salaries with civil service salaries. If you're going to scrutinize people who are purportedly trained to become ministers, why not also examine the pay of top CEOs and lawyers and doctors as well?

The fact is that a civil service career is a profession like every other career, and there is good cause for using money to attract the best people. If we accept that there's a need to pay teachers and social workers more to attract better people, then we cannot judge civil servants, even AOs, by another standard. Politics, on the other hand, is a calling and you do not want to attract people with money. You obviously have some agenda against AOs and their pay, so please take it elsewhere.