Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2020, 10:37 AM
Unregistered

Default Response

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, I am a 2.5 PQE litigation lawyer in a big 4 firm thinking of going in house. Does anyone here have advice on:

- when you should make the move in house. I'm not sure if I am still too junior to make the move and if it would be worth sticking it out in practice for longer.

- what kind of company would be good to work for in your view and why. I'm hoping to find a job which offers work life balance. Not sure if places like banks will be able to offer that.

- how much of a pay cut to expect when going in house. I understand there will be a pay cut for most people.

- if anyone has made the move from litigation to in house, do you regret the move?

Thanks in advance.

If anyone has advice on how to get through practice when you feel drained / burned out, I'd appreciate that advice too (:
hi,
1) i moved inhouse recently.
2) when to move inhouse - there's no hard and fast rule. some say move early (<2PQE), but that means you go on a lower salary when you should be moving to a bigger firm instead. move at 5PQE, may be too late and you're too expensive (if in foreign firm), if in a local firm you could make partner and you're likely to stay. it's very difficult
3) what do you like? would it be good to go into an industry you like, in an inhouse capacity? for liti it's tough, i think corporate guys have it easier.
4) paycut - not necessarily the case if you're going from a local firm. check out salary surveys for an indication, but take with a pinch of salt