Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ex-MOE Teachers
Thread: Ex-MOE Teachers
View Single Post
Old 09-03-2020, 06:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

I empathize with what you are going through as I am also in the same predicament. Have changed environment once but somehow due to my lack of carrying balls skills, I have always managed to step on others' toes. After which, whatever I did became useless. They gave me a lot of projects to do but made sure I had to do everything alone and then blamed it on me for not showing team spirit and good interpersonal skills. Basically once you have been blacklisted by those in favor, they will try ways and means to make life difficult for you and they will most likely succeed as they will have the support of the upper management.

It feels like although we always teach kids not to be bullies, the adults in the school exhibit the exact same behaviour and nothing is done to stop them. It is always easier for the upper management to side with the "popular" and vocal ones rather than the quiet ones like us.

In all my years in MOE (more than 10 years), I have always had a good relationship with the students and parents. It has always been the colleagues who make me feel demoralised and discouraged. So don't worry, you are not alone. What is your plan after leaving MOE?
Have you tried changing schools? If you find that regardless of the school you went and the situations remained the same, it might be your approach that needs changing, esp when you mentioned that you always stepped on their toes.

If you can build good rapport with students and parents, I don't see why that cannot be done with your colleagues, unless past experience has resulted in certain level of biasness. While being wayang may help one score some brownie points, it does not cover up the mistakes that he/ she makes. Applying the same analogy, not knowing how to carry balls doesn't erase one's contributions towards the school, unless the mistakes are serious in nature, for eg safety or they comprimise T&L. I have teachers who are excellent story tellers and they put themselves in the limelight, but sadly, their actions often point south.

While some points you raised are true, I have seen JHs who moved out of C-, D grades. The ranking panel comprises the SLs and KPs, and I am sure that if you have achievements to back you up, it is hard to pull you down just because of their prejudice. I don't know what you meant by people (non-kps) giving you lots of work but making sure that you work alone as that isn't the norm with working comms around. Target setting at the startof the year should have lay out what needs to be done for you so sometimes all one needs is learning to speak up.

I have encountered teachers who went around telling people that they had numerous porrfolios, and they slogged all day long etc but I see them spending hours at the pantry gossiping and making a mess iof things while they continue to feel good about how almighty they are. So when not given an appraisal they desire, this group of people feel unjust and start to have lots of self-pity.

I believe you are still in the service. Don't lose passion and continue to do what's right. At the same time, look for opportunities if there are and maybe a change of environment might shed new light on things that you have been through.