Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2020, 10:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
International Grad singaporean here. Thinking of doing a competitive specialty in SG like Cardiology.

1. Where can I find any info about competition ratios into residency specialties in Singapore? (This info is freely available in the UK)

2. What are the chances a young fresh overseas consultant get a consultant job in singapore government hospital? (I would obv love to jump straight to private sector but need to serve out the provisional SMC licence)

Would really appreciate if anyone knows or have personal experience.
We need more cardiologists. The incidence of diabetes and as a consequence by definition stage 1 heart failure is very high in singapore.

Furthermore diabetes increased risk of ischemic heart disease. sinkies are quite sedentary, eat too much char kway teow. We Definitely need a lot of heart doctors to do pci to unclog the grease

Worsening this is we have high life expectancy. is close to 85.

I believe we lack cardiologists in public sector. Too often they move to pte sector. Our public heart failure clinics, post mi clinics are quite full.

Joining cardiology senior residency will also let you participate in research. You can expect to have a fulfilling career as a clinician scientist, with 0.5 fte research and optimizing outcomes for our population. No doubt it is competitive, but it is also very meaningful