Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2020, 03:47 AM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not sure about FM, but lots of residencies need citizenship or at least PR to get into noawadays.

As of now to be a GP:
finish medical school -> HO/F1 -> MO/SHO level until you get full registration (no training programme, essentially trying to aim for F2 jobs that will make you a better GP) -> leave to become GP. You can do a graduate diploma (GDFM) as well
or
finish medical school -> HO -> MO -> FM residency

From what I heard the first route might change in time but not too sure

Not sure about UK post CCT GP to singapore GP, I think it should be possible but will have to work in public polyclinics till you get full registration. If you google "family medicine singapore mrcgp", I believe MRCGP can get you admission as a member of the college of family medicine physicians.

From what I know, you have you have to be a Singaporean citizen to be a private GP (along with full registration).

Not sure why you want to come to singapore, are you of Asian descent or have family here? While UK GPs are already struggling with their 10 min slots, GPs in the public polyclinics can see 50 patients a morning. GP is quite popular now that residency for other specialties have over recruited, so there could be more difficulty getting a private clinic job in the future.
There is no EWTD to protect you here either as a MO, you will be slogging it out hard with 30h on-calls, and also have to learn the local languages for history taking. Without citizenship it might also be hard to get full registration.

UK GP is a pretty good job if you locum, even salaried GP is not too bad. Alternatively, finish UK GP and go to Australia, NZ or Canada, those are probably better gigs than Singapore.

I advise you to read all 100 pages of this thread, you will get a better insight into Singapore's working life, although there is a fair bit of spam and idiots replying.
Thanks so much for the info.

I am half Singaporean but born in the UK, I have a lot of family in Singapore and this along with the quality of life there has been a driving motivator for me to move over.

Can anyone second the detail of it being necessary to be a Singapore Citizen to be a private GP in Singapore? Are there no foreign national, foreign-trained GPs working in Singapore in the private sector, or even public for that matter?

One option I was hoping to consider was finishing my GP training in UK and trying to move to Singapore with MRCGP to work privately (e.g. Raffles). Is this pathway not possible? Or would it only be possible to work at a polyclinic? And would I be able to do this right away or have to go back to working as an MO until I get full registration?

Many thanks guys, I did a read of the second half of this thread and it has mostly (minus the occasional gynae-fetish dude) been really helpful.