Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 20-02-2020, 09:20 AM
Unregistered

Default Dun fall into the pit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi, need some advice about dealing with direct ROs.

My RO is quite an old, blur and forgetful HOD. Not that I have anything against his age, but he loves to dump a lot of workload on the new or younger officers (newly transferred in or within 5 years of service).

Not that people are unwilling to do the extra (or even sudden) work, but it's very unfair when we are not being recognised for completing these extra workload while he takes credit. In the meantime, the older and experienced teachers usually don't get any new extra workload.

Because of his failing memory sometimes, certain duties are also not rotated. Even after telling and requesting a change, he refuses to budge despite the fact that certain roles have a heavier workload.

After speaking to other KPs from my own school and even from other schools, most responses are just about sucking it up.

I love my school culture and colleagues. But it seems like having a good boss also matters a lot. Any advice?
I was told to suck it up too despite making me do so much extra. the thing about schools is that meritocracy in terms of leadership track is skewed. In the end, they decided to appt the one as HOD when that person did not even contribute much in terms of the dept-wise. If the SLs like you, you can do almost anything and get away with it but if you are in the doghouse, they will milk u dry and scold for stupid things that u will not even scold your own child for. And when u question their decision, they give lame reasons like - oh u r very young and your runway is long. so I guess at the end of the day age does play a role unless u are a scholar who is not condemned.