Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career Advice for a Computer Science student
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 08:14 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by flawless94 View Post
With regards to my coding skills, problem solving is what makes me good at it. However, this makes me bad at finding the good algorithm to solve the problem since most of the time my problem solving methnd are mostly brute force. This is based on the feedback I got from doing leetcode. Although I can try and learn the "best" way to solve the problem, my preferable problem solving method is still through brute force unless I memorise the way after attempting a few similar problems. At the same time, I dont adapt to changes well, therefore I cant keep up with the constant change of technologies. This makes me think I can't be a software engineer in the long run. I'm probably only doing it for its high starting pay and my degree.
Wait, unless I'm misunderstanding you, how does one deem himself to be good at problem solving when the solutions are admittedly derived via brute forcing? Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Are you trying to say you would like to land a SWE job for the high starting salary and eventually transition to a non-techical role, despite knowing that you probably won't be good at your current job as a swe, your lack of ability to adapt and your lack of willingness to address your current issues in terms of keeping up with the current technologies / nurture critical problem solving skills?

... Please try to identify the skills required for business analysts or technical consultants and work towards achieving those skills instead.