Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 26-12-2019, 01:41 AM

hikaru91 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Prepared to retire in Iskandar where I have a house. CPF life and rental income should help. Go read up about Malaysia My Second Home scheme. As my wise Malaysian uncle advised me long ago, work in Sg snd retire in Malaysia. Costs of living r 2 thirds that of Sg and our exchange rate is 3:1. So go figure.
People keep saying this - yes it is cheap blah blah. But you are spending the next 30 years in a smaller gated community. How comfortable are you living there, can you walk down Iskander and neighbouring areas like you would do down Orchard Road? Are the amenities familiar and convenient like in SG, where you can walk from ngee ann to harbourfront to labrador park and enjoy the views without looking over your shoulders every time? And taking an evening jog after dinner like you would do at East Coast - safe in Malaysia? Or are you going to restrict your activities to your safe enclosed community?

Are the food clean (albeit tastier) in JB so you don't accumulate health risks for the next 30 years? Everyday 3 meals, for years and years, don't compromise food safety and cleanliness for taste hor.

Do you long to meet your friends and relatives in SG every other day and spend your hours waiting at checkpoints to go in and out? When your friends meet up at Holland V or Tanjong Pagar are they going have to consider you who live all the way in Iskandar, will they still think of you?

What about your kids' education? Study in SG? Or study in international schools in malaysia and act like an expat and put on an angmo accent to fit in?

So many issues to think of before deciding to retire in Malaysia.

Last edited by hikaru91; 26-12-2019 at 01:45 AM.