Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How is life as a doctor in Singapore?
View Single Post
Old 18-12-2019, 10:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I guess he’s not wrong when talking about concrete earnings. But if you factor in things like taxes which is higher in America and malpractice insurance, I would say it is about the same. So in a way it makes sense to compensate Doctors more in America since if they’re earning the same as if they’re in Singapore, then they would more or less be earning peanuts. If you calculate the income tax rate through online US tax calculators you would find that the take home pay is just max 130k+ for family physician and if you factor in the malpractice insurance, the number further drops by a significant amount. So on paper it is good, but in reality, the numbers adds up both in Singapore and America I would say.

There was a Canadian doctor here in the recent pages, yes he works like 4 days a week and earns a good amount. Consultant Doctors (excluding a significant minority) would tend to enjoy such a life.

To me, as long as you’re a decent doctor who has his intentions in the right place, would do well for himself in any first world country. Including Singapore.
Hi I am the Canadian family physician.

Yes American family physicians dont make as much as Canadian family physicians

I will be working 5 days a week mon to fri come 2020. So a pay rise for me. Lol.

You have to find your niche.

It has little to do with how "good" a doctor you are. Whatever that means anyway because what is "good" to patients varies from patient to patient and might have nothing to do with what other doctors would say is a "good" doctor.

Ultimately you are the business. You have to see where you want to take it.

I started with niche markets with Chinese and cantonese speaking patients. So I had tons of them. But later I felt it was just too much for me because PRC and HK patients are very demanding and really just want to exploit the system.

So I left. Then I found another niche.

If you just want to be like any family physician then you will probably earn just like any family physician too.