Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - NCS (SingTel subsidiary)
View Single Post
Old 17-12-2019, 03:39 AM

bcrdukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soangeli View Post
Got anyone who started with development and later was thrown into the maintenance as the dev cycle ended?

Is this a good moment that I should move on and find new opportunities? or should I at least stay for a while? (I do feel like maintenance work not contributing to my skillset developement at this point tho..)
Speaking as a production support manager, if you haven't moved into a support role before, it would be good to round out your skillsets in spending some time in a production support/maintenance role for a short period.

Depending on the organization you work in, and the current and future affairs of your organization, it's good to have a support/maintenance skillset as the world of development moves into DevOps. So if you are doing only waterfall development, and that's not going to change in the next two to three years, you may want to consider moving on, but that depends on where you are in life, your age, circumstances etc. If you work in a world of hybrid development styles (WAgile/Watergile?) it's certainly worth evaluating. In my organization, production support/maintenance has the most power and influence. In a lot of other organizations, it's the other way around, but that depends on your Agile/DevOps roadmap and maturity.

I have a few developers in my team who moved into a production support/maintenance role, and for them, they were much more appreciative of the development and support process, particularly when we are on a path to move towards DevOps. Some food for thought.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Last edited by bcrdukes; 17-12-2019 at 03:42 AM.