Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Telcos in Singapore
View Single Post
Old 16-12-2019, 10:50 PM

bcrdukes is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Noting that CAD is roughly on parity with SGD, the managerial salaries in CA don't seem high to me. CA taxes are way higher though. SG's income tax for a 120k income is just $7,950, or less than 7%. Google for "singapore iras income tax rates".

A car is super expensive compared to the rest of the world. A brand new Toyota Camry costs $152k (cheapest Camry model). And you can only take a max loan of 60%, which means you have to pay 40% in cash.

For properties, it's worse -- 20% "additional" duty for any property purchase. 0% for citizens if they are first-time owners.

It's not all bad. As a poster mentioned, the locals here have an affinity towards western things, including non-caucasian people from the north american continent, people who speak roughly the same accent as Hollywood movie characters.

Since you said you're from Vancouver, I'm guessing you're an Asian Canadian?
Yes, it's no secret that Canadian taxes are brutal, and wages are low in comparison (even to that of HK!) Thanks for the details on SGs taxes and rates. I'll take a look in greater detail later today.

$152K for an entry-level Camry. Wow. That's luxury vehicle territory (Porsche etc.) I own two cars, so I am very lucky in comparison. That's brutal, and a serious reality check. How much do registration/licensing fees run for?

You are right to assume that I am Asian Canadian, and yes, I do have the "Hollywood" North American accent. Of both times during my travels in Singapore, locals would ask if I was from the US or Canada. I struggled with "Singlish," but perhaps that's something that needs to be picked up over time and constant exposure. I noticed there seems to be a handful of Australian and New Zealand expats in Singapore as well (which only makes sense due to it being the closest "Western" country to Asia.)